Why is the official Event Store Docker image for developer machines only?

I am relatively new to Docker and containers; may I ask why it states on the Event Store Docker Hub image page that the “container is for development purposes only”?

Is this because Event Store is not designed to run out of a container? Or is there another reason?

Looks like this answers the question: https://github.com/EventStore/eventstore-docker/issues/7

For reference, we are running EventStore clustred under Kubernetes and Docker in the Google Cloud - and so far so good. When our volumes start going up, we may start to look at more native hosting, but at this stage, the convenience of having it under the same cluster management system as our own services (with the service discovery etc that Kubernetes provides) far outweighs any performance concerns.

Cheers,

Kristian

Hi Kristian Freed,
I’d be interested to know whether you are running just the database nodes in Docker or the manager and database nodes? I’ve just started looking at how best to deploy an EventStore cluster to the cloud.

Hi,

We are running EventStore, open source edition, in a 3 node cluster. Service discovery, monitoring, restarts etc is all done by Kubernetes. Kubernetes resolves a cluster internal hostname to the set of IPs of the running nodes, used for seeding the cluster, and the EventStore gossip protocol takes over from there.

Cheers,

Kristian