Migration from Jonathan Oliver Eventstore

Hi,

We are currently using Eventstore v 3.0 from Jonathan Oliver. We are now exploring possibilities to migrate to Your eventstore v23.

Is it possible? Also can we directly move to Azure as well?

Your help is much appreciated as we don’t have much knowledge.

Jonathan Oliver’s EventStore has morphed into NEventStore over time, and v3 has been unlisted on nuget.org (it is still available as a package for download). It should not be too hard to write a program in .NET Fx 4.x that dumps all events into an intermediate format on disk, provided you can list all streams in use, and then write a program in your programming language of choice that reads the intermediate format and appends the events, using one of our SDKs, to the corresponding streams, mapping his event body to our event data and his event headers to our event metadata. Alternatively, you could skip the intermediate format and load directly from the underlying storage, mimicking some of the JOliver EventStore logic for reading events. The concept of JOliver’s EventStore’s commit, which packs multiple events, does not exist within EventStoreDB, but batch appending is supported, so there should be no issues migrating your data.

Where EventStoreDB is hosted is orthogonal and does not materially change the approach (e.g. test locally first, Azure second) as long as connectivity can be established.

HI,

Thanks for quick answer.
I will try to read the event stream from Joliver then using your SDK will save to new eventstore.
Then once it runs ok then will migrate the DB to Azure SQL.

Which version should I use for Eventstoredb? I am using .Net C# as language.

Thanks for help!!

This package should do the trick.

Thanks for help.
Will try to use it.

23.10.x ( it’s LTS and will receive update until 10-2025 with the release of 25.10)

( 24.10 will be released in the next few weeks)