Glibc version

Hi

Is there any hope of getting eventstore to work with glibc 2.11?

Hi,

i reported that issue already here: https://github.com/EventStore/EventStore/issues/223

Daniel

Thanks will follow that issue.

The workaround is to compile EventStore yourself on an older Linux distribution.
The resulting binary will then run on older and newer Linux’es.

But a self compiled and packed version is not as well tested as the official one, right? (e.g. different mono version, etc.)

Well the tested part means we will need to setup parallel testing
systems (including power pulls etc).

It "should" work but there is always a possibility of regression etc

Its just because our ops, are still on SLES 11. On SLES 12 it works fine, and one solution is to force them to upgrade. I don’t want to build and maintain a seperate version.

Will buying support help with this?

If you have enterprise level support we’d consider doing custom builds for older versions of Linux. However, it’s simply not worth it otherwise - the amount of duplicate infrastructure that would be needed to test properly is huge.

Our policy for new releases (note the current one does NOT follow this) is to build on the latest LTS version of Ubuntu. You are of course (as per the license) free to build and run on any OS you like. I’m not especially familiar with SLES - does it use a standard package management system? Is it possible to build packages without actually having the OS installed?

Hi James,

SLES, like most of the other Linux Distributions, is using RPM as packet manager.

You can also build you SLES build system with a few clicks on: https://susestudio.com/

Regarding your policy:

Most of the commercial software for Linux is only certified for SLES or Red Hat Linux, so larger companies are using one of them.

Both have long supported release cycles with older glib versions, etc.

So as long as you only want to provide builds for Ubuntu LTS, which does not play a role at all in larger enterprises, you crowd out all developers that want to use you very nice product on larger companies.

Don’t get me wrong, i love Debian/Ubuntu and used it for myself nearly everywhere. But compiling Mono (and EventStore) on a distribution with an older glibc enables you to run the resulting binary on both; enterprise distributions (Red Hat, SLES, …) and on newer ones with up2date glib versions. So you can target more potential users and possible new customers.

Daniel

Supporting Red Hat Enterprise would be a wise decision i think. Most enterprise businesses run some version of Red Hat (CentOS, Oracle, etc.). I am pushing our Ops to upgrade to SLES 12 which is almost a year old and have a high enough glibc version.

If people can present a good enough business case (i.e. someone willing to buy enterprise level support) we’d certainly consider this. As it is, we know and understand Debian-based Linux and would have to put reasonably significant time and energy into other distributions.

Of course, we accept pull requests :wink: