EventStore storage compression/zipping to save disk space

Is there a plan for an feature to compress events to save disk space?
We currently have over 100GB of events on disk in production expecting 1TB or more during the next year.

/Thomas

We use ZFS and get compression that way. What kind of filesystem do you use?

he he - we use Windows

torsdag den 7. juni 2018 kl. 20.45.39 UTC+2 skrev ahjohannessen:

We used NTFS compression with some success. Got about 50% compression with no noticeable performance impact.

One MAJOR warning though; because we were only compressing completed chunks retrospectively (so there was no write impact) the NTFS partition ended up hugely fragmented. (99.9% according to tools) We didn’t really notice as we run on SSDs. Eventually EventStore was doing an index merge and tried to allocate a large file which failed. Even though there was plenty of space; 10x the file size available. This turned out to be due the number of fragments required to create the file passing a hard limit in NTFS.

So if you do decide to try it:

• Probably only on SSDs. (Performance would become rubbish on spinning.)

• Monitor the Split IO/Sec performance counter for the partition.

• Try and defragment regularly. (It would have taken months to complete for us so we abandoned.)

• Format the partition with the /L flag to try and avoid the file system limit. Ideally you would never come close to hitting the fragment limit, but better to have the ability rather than crash.

Why ? Disk space is so cheap and then you hit compression latency , only thing I can think of is some cloud providers have 100G /200G local SSD.

One thing I’ve seen is that disk compression can improve read performance if disk I/O is your bottleneck.