Error while collecting data

I had the eventstore v.3RC2 running in the console for a couple of days and all of a sudden I got the following error:

Error while collecting stats

The Counter layout for the Category specified is invalid, a counter of the type: AverageCount64, AverageTimer32, CounterMultiTimer, CounterMultiTimerInverse, CounterMultiTimer100Ns, CounterMultiTimer100NsInverse, RawFraction, or SampleFraction has to be immediately followed by any of the base counter types: AverageBase, CounterMultiBase, RawBase or SampleBase.

It seems like the eventstore itself continue to work just fine, but the stats page contains the error message: " Couldn’t build charts.
Reason: Not Found". I wasn’t here when it started to happen so I don’t know why this started.

Does it go away if you restart the node or does it continue on a restart? I take it you are running on a vm?

I was running locally on my dev environment. I had just started it with Eventstore.Singlenode.exe on RC2 and didn’t try to restart it with the same db. I did try to start it today with all the latest databases I had in my AppData folder and it seems to be working, but I do get this error message when starting two of them in AppData:

[17768,09,09:05:20.746] Error during processing ReadAllEventsForward request. Log record at actual pos 2616438 has too large length: 1702064997 bytes, while limit is 16777216 bytes. Something is seriously wrong in chunk #0-0 (chunk-000000.000000).

[17768,07,09:05:20.746] Error during processing ReadAllEventsForward request. Log record at actual pos 2617274 has too large length: 1462592885 bytes, while limit is 16777216 bytes. Something is seriously wrong in chunk #0-0 (chunk-000000.000000).

Maybe that is related.

I did find the logs where there is a small stacktrace:

[PID:11856:034 2014.08.20 08:17:32.589 ERROR MonitoringService ] Error while collecting stats

System.InvalidOperationException: The Counter layout for the Category specified is invalid, a counter of the type: AverageCount64, AverageTimer32, CounterMultiTimer, CounterMultiTimerInverse, CounterMultiTimer100Ns, CounterMultiTimer100NsInverse, RawFraction, or SampleFraction has to be immediately followed by any of the base counter types: AverageBase, CounterMultiBase, RawBase or SampleBase.

at System.Diagnostics.CategorySample.GetCounterDefinitionSample(String counter)

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.NextSample()

at EventStore.Core.Services.Monitoring.Utils.PerfCounterHelper.GetGcStats() in c:\data\EventStore\src\EventStore\EventStore.Core\Services\Monitoring\Utils\PerfCounterHelper.cs:line 146

at EventStore.Core.Services.Monitoring.SystemStatsHelper.GetSystemStats() in c:\data\EventStore\src\EventStore\EventStore.Core\Services\Monitoring\SystemStatsHelper.cs:line 93

at EventStore.Core.Services.Monitoring.MonitoringService.CollectStats() in c:\data\EventStore\src\EventStore\EventStore.Core\Services\Monitoring\MonitoringService.cs:line 154

So the stats error is WMI returning us an error on collection of stats. This can happen for various reasons in windows. Ldctl /r normally fixes it.

Could you please explain “Ldctl /r”? I’m unable to find a reference, and without further context I’m not sure where to look.

I’m getting the same error when starting a 2.0.1 EventStore with the 2.0.2 client on a bare-metal machine (debugging a client’s production environment so upgrading GES is not an option at this point).

Thanks.

Its a windows tool for dealing with the performance counter db.

The error is a windows error when reading performance counters.

lodctl /r

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10779699/corrupted-performance-counters

Thank you both!