Configuration of chunk size

Hi,

I found out in the Eventstore configuration documentation how to configure the ChunksCacheSize as well as the CachedChunks. I read on this list that the chunk Size itself can also be configured. However, I didn’t manage to find how to change it. Can you please point me to it?

Is it correct that the default chunk size is 256MB?

Best regards,

Anneke

Looks like its not exposed unless I missed it looking through quickly. I will add an option this afternoon.

Yes the default is 256MB

thanks for your quick answer and thanks for adding it!

The PR is there and I have tested with varying sizes it should be in the next version.

I’m also looking for this option. I would like to configure smaller chunks, so the scavenge cleans up recent events more often. How can se set the chunk size in the configuration? I couldn’t find the proper parameter in the documentation.

1 Like

My team and I are in the same situation as Alberto — for the same reason, it would be great know how to configure smaller chunks. Couldn’t find any information on docs pages like the server docs on scavenging, would there be another guide somewhere?

Thanks for any help~

the recent 22.10 release has an renewed and improved scavenging algorithm that will also clean up the data in the active chunk.( + performance & resources usage improvements)
I would upgrade to that version instead of changing chunk file size

1 Like

Thanks so much for this guidance, Yves. This gets right at our XY problem — upgrading to that version should give us what we want and we won’t have to worry about chunk size.

We currently use EventStore Cloud (currently version 21.10), and unfortunately it doesn’t seem that 22.10 is available yet there.

Furthermore, looking at the docs it seems that even if the new version were available, we’d have to perform a backup and restore to a new cluster instead of just rolling out an upgrade to our current one.

Is there a timeline for support on the EventStore Cloud side? I’d be happy to open this up in a different forum thread now that the topic has changed. Thanks!

22.10 will be available on cloud soonish