Azure VPN to cluster from dev environment

Does anyone have any success in setting up P2S VPN into a Azure virtual network that’s peered with a EventStore cluster? I know from our conversation Alexey, you were giving this a shot yourself. Just wanted to see if you’ve any success.

I believe the requirement from Azure is to enable the gateway transit feature for the peering. As the Azure peering is initiated from our side, you cannot change this property. I discussed it with the Cloud team and they plan to change it.

I am actually interested in the use case of this. From my conversations with ES Cloud customers, the main need is to look at the UI. Is that your case too Peter? Of you want to write and read events from dev machines too?

Yes, the main need is to look at the UI. It would be good to also have a solution for reading events from dev machines too, but for now that’s not our main use case.

Is there any concrete plan for this?

We want to migrate our production from self-deployed ESDB to Event Store Cloud, but not being able to see the UI is a dealbreaker.

1 Like

We are currently evaluating ESC, and we also need the VPN-peering to work during development. Are there any plan to change this in the near future?

I can’t say for sure, but we are discussing it.

At the same time, it’s pretty common for cloud resources to only have private IPs within cloud private networks, and to access any of those resources you’d need a VPN instead. I know it’s not always the case, and for small companies with more freedom for the devs to do things as they see fit it might look like overburden. That’s the reason for us to keep discussing it internally :slight_smile: